Papankusha Ekadashi 2023: One of the important Hindu fasting days, Papankusha Ekadashi is held on the eleventh day (Ekadashi) of Shukla Paksha in the Ashwin month. As a result, the celebration is also known as “Ashwina-Shukla Ekadashi.” This event is observed either in the month of September or the month of October in accordance with the Gregorian calendar.
Lord Padmanabha, a manifestation of Lord Vishnu, is worshipped on the day of Papankusha Ekadashi. To receive the deity’s blessings and to enjoy the many pleasures of this world, devotees conduct a Papankusha Ekadashi fast.
It is regarded as one of the most significant Ekadashis because those who observe this fast are granted material prosperity, good health, and worldly pleasures. Hinduism has the view that until a person observes a Papankusha Ekadashi Vrat, they cannot be absolved of all their past transgressions and sins. Additionally, it is thought that the virtues and advantages of this fast are comparable to those gained from conducting numerous Surya Yajnas and Ashwamedha Yajnas.
Papankusha Ekadashi 2023 Date
- October 25, 2023 on Wednesday
- Ekadashi Tithi Commences: October 24, 2023, 03:14
- The end of Ekadashi Tithi is October 25, 2023, at 12:32 PM
Papankusha Ekadashi Rituals
On this specific day, the devotees follow a severe Papankusha fast or a quiet vow.
• The observers are required to get up early in the morning, take a shower, and dress in clean clothing.
• On the eve of Dashami (the tenth day), all of the Papankusha Ekadashi Fast rites begin.
• Observers are obliged to have just one sattvic meal on this specific day, and that too before nightfall.
• The Vrat is observed until the Ekadashi tithi is over.
• During the Papankusha Ekadashi Vrat, participants are forbidden from engaging in any sort of wicked or evil deed and are also forbidden from speaking falsely.
• On the eve of Dwadashi, the 12th day, the fast comes to an end. Before breaking their fast, all participants are supposed to give the Brahmins some food and some donations.
• Both at night and during the day, the observers are not allowed to sleep. To appease Lord Vishnu, they must spend their entire day repeating Mantras.
• Reciting the “Vishnu Sahasranama” is regarded as extremely lucky.
• On this particular day, Lord Vishnu is worshipped by followers with great fervour and devotion.
• Devotees do an aarti when all the rites are complete.
• Giving to charity on the eve of Papankusha is thought to be quite satisfying. The observer ought to give the Brahmins food, clothing, and cash.
• As part of the donation, devotees also organise a “Brahman Bhoj” since it is believed that those who give to others on the night of this festival would not enter hell once they pass away.
The significance and value of Papankusha Ekadashi have been highlighted in “Brahma Vaivarta Purana”. According to Hindu mythology, this is thought to be the most fortunate and auspicious celebration for being absolved of all previous transgressions. According to Hindu mythology, Lord Krishna taught to King Yudhishthira the advantages of keeping a Papankusha Ekadashi fast and said that those who do so and pray to Lord Vishnu will be saved.
The festival of Papankusha Ekadshi honours one of Lord Padmanabha’s avatars. On this day, devotees pray to Lord Padmanabha with great devotion and fervour. As a result, it is thought that the Lord bestows upon the people all the comforts of life. The Brahma Vaivarta Purana mentions the importance of this Ekadashi. This is the most fortunate time to atone for all of your sins throughout your life. Fasting during the Papankusha Ekadashi has a lot of other advantages. People are abundantly blessed with good prosperity, good health, and many other things. Furthermore, if one does not observe a fast on this day, they would never be able to rid themselves from their faults or bad decisions. The Vrat of this Ekadashi is compared to completing 1000 Ashwamedha Yagyas and 100 Surya Yagyas. Furthermore, anyone who chants the name of Lord Vishnu is likely to experience benefits comparable to those of paying a visit to a Hindu pilgrim.
A very vicious and unkind hunter by the name of Krodhana is said to have existed, according to folklore. The hunter used to reside in the Vindhyachal Mountains and had spent his entire life doing numerous misdeeds and horrible actions. He could never be taught to live a quiet life by anyone. As the years went by and Krodhana became old, he began to worry about dying. He was quite concerned about the suffering he would endure after death as a result of his crimes and bad deeds.
Krodhana sought out the eminent sage Angira, who had formerly resided in a forest, to atone for his previous actions and transgressions. He requested the wise man for assistance and asked him to discover the means by which he could atone for all of his crimes. The hunter was instructed by the sage to observe the Papankusha Ekadashi fast, which is observed in Ashwin month and falls during Shukla Paksha. As instructed by the sage, Krodhana carried out all the procedures and observed a Papankusha Ekadashi Vrat. The hunter received Lord Vishnu’s blessings, was absolved of all his prior sins, and ultimately found salvation. Since then, believers keep a fast and carry out puja rituals in order to atone for their past misdeeds and find redemption.
What are the Papankusha Ekadashi mantras?
- The mantra Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya
- The Vishnu Sahasranama Stotra
- The Vishnu Ashtothram
What advantages does Papankusha Ekadashi Vrat offer?
- Those who observe this fast are absolved of all their previous transgressions.
- The spectators experience a happy marriage, good health, fulfilment, and enormous money.
- The main advantages of keeping this fast are to get Lord Vishnu’s blessings and salvation.
There are 23 Ekadashi Vrats in a year, in addition to Papankusha Ekadashi, that fall on the Krishna and Shukla Paksha of the Hindu calendar. Each of these Ekadashi tithi is revered in Hindu tradition and is known by a different Ekadashi name.
Papankusha Ekadashi 2023 Wishes
1. On this auspicious day, may your life be a source of inner tranquilly and spiritual enlightenment.
2. Wishing you the fortitude to conquer all of your transgressions and bad karma.
3. May the blessings of Lord Vishnu purify your body, mind, and soul. Happy Papankusha Ekadashi 2023!
4. May this Ekadashi help you achieve your spiritual aims and goals.
5. May you have the fortitude to start over and learn from your past mistakes.
6. Be steadfast and sincere in your devotion to Lord Vishnu.
7. On this holy day, I wish you health and happiness.
8. May the divine energy of Ekadashi purify the impurities from your heart.
9. May your fasting and prayers on this day be heard and honoured.
10. Best wishes for further success and a great future.
11. May love, harmony, and family cohesion be bestowed upon your family.
12. May this Ekadashi offer you and your relationships forgiveness and peace.
13. May prayer and meditation help you to discover inner clarity and insight.
14. Best wishes for a happy and productive future.
15. May Lord Vishnu’s omnipotent grace lead you to the righteous path.