National Panchayati Raj Day 2022 is celebrated every year on April 24. The yearly commemoration takes place on the occasion of the adoption of the 73rd Constitutional Amendment in 1992. On April 24, 1993, the act came into effect. The first National Panchayati Raj Day was announced on April 24, 2010, by former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. The inception of decentralized power is commemorated on National Panchayati Raj Day.
Significance of Panchayati Raj Day
National Panchayati Raj Day commemorates the establishment of a decentralized government. A panel headed by Balwantrai Mehta emphasized the need for Panchayat Raj institutions and urged people to participate in the planning process in combating communist insurgency. The reason for this decentralizing authority to rural areas was that a single CM could not oversee an entire state and manage all of its problems in the shortest period of time possible. In conclusion, establishing the Panchayat Raj administration in India is a smart decision in terms of distributing power among a vast number of citizens and communities.
National Panchayati Raj Day 2022: Panchayati Raj System in India
The Panchayati Raj is presently a system of governance in India, with gram panchayats serving as the basic units of local government. The Panchayati Raj system is currently in place in all states, excluding Nagaland, Meghalaya, and Mizoram, and in all Union Territories, apart from Delhi.
Types of Panchayati Raj in India
The Panchayati Raj in India consists of three levels:
- Gram Panchayat at the village level
- Block Panchayat or Panchayat Samiti at the intermediate level
- Zilla Panchayat at the district level
National Panchayati Raj 2022: Quotes
- The voice of the people may be said to be God’s voice the voice of the panchayat- Mahatma Gandhi
- When the panchayat raj is established public opinion will do what violence can never do- Mahatma Gandhi
- Through all-round progress & grassroots level participation, our Govt is working towards making Gram Uday Se Bharat Uday a reality- PM Narendra Modi
- On National Panchayati Raj Day I salute all the hardworking individuals serving people through Panchayati Raj institutions across India- PM Narendra Modi