By | 10 Mar 2023 at 3:58 PM
International Wig Day 2023: Date, History, Facts, Activities

International Wig Day is annually observed on March 10. It is not only a chance to not worry about how your hair appears, but also an opportunity to express yourself. International Wig Day is wonderful because it serves multiple purposes. First, it’s enjoyable! Who wouldn’t want to celebrate wigs for all the colour and flavour they add to our lives for an entire day? Second, and most critically, it seeks to bring attention to hair loss caused by diseases and cancer treatments. The day is a simple opportunity to demonstrate support for the battle against cancer.

The background of International Wig Day

Although wigs have existed for millennia, International Wig Day has only been observed since 2016. A Danish costume shop,, came up with the concept to celebrate wigs for the joy they bring to our lives and to raise cancer awareness.

Ancient Egyptians shaved off their hair and wore wigs to shield their scalps from the intense heat of those regions. They were also donned for special occasions. Additionally, the Assyrians, Greeks, Phoenicians, and Romans wore wigs.
Many of us believe that wigs are predominantly worn by women and have been so for centuries. However, like many other accessories, wigs were originally created for all individuals. In period dramas, we’ve all seen noblemen with luscious white tresses of hair. In the 16th century, these hairstyles, known as perukes, became popular in the United Kingdom, France, and other European countries. Today, men’s hairstyles are commonly referred to as toupees and are worn worldwide.

Wigs have a lengthy past. Unfortunately, and only recently, they have been associated with a stigma. Some individuals believe wig-wearers are concealing something and may bombard them with superfluous inquiries such as “is that your real hair?”

Now is the time to disregard any embarrassment associated with wearing a prosthesis and hold your head high. Individuals can wear wigs for a variety of reasons, and it’s encouraging to see them gaining acceptance in modern society. Additionally, many actors and social media influencers are becoming more vocal about wearing wigs, resulting in an increase in their popularity.

National Dry Shampoo Day 2023: Date, History, Facts, Activities


Don a headpiece

Wear a wig to demonstrate your support for those who wear them daily. You could use this as an opportunity to try out various hairstyles.

Post a selfie

Post photos of yourself wearing a wig to impress your peers and raise awareness of the day. Don’t neglect to use the #internationalwigday hashtag.

Donate your locks.

Even after a haircut, you can donate your hair so that it can be reborn as a prosthesis. Seek up donation-accepting organisations in your area or ask your stylist.


The average person has between 100,000 and 150,000 hair filaments.

The average person loses between 50 and 150 hairs per day.

90% of your hair is growing at any given time, while the remaining 10% is dormant.

A hair filament is stronger than copper wire of the same diameter.

Gray and white hair are typically denser and more robust than regular hair. They also develop more rapidly.


Year Date Day
2023 March 10 Friday
2024 March 10 Sunday
2025 March 10 Monday
2026 March 10 Tuesday
2027 March 10 Wednesday