World Day for Audiovisual Heritage 2023: October 27 is observed annually as World Day for Audiovisual Heritage, a day that emphasizes the significance of archiving and conserving audiovisual sources. Audiovisual items, abbreviated AV, can consist of anything from music or brief clips to documentaries and lectures. Such materials offer valuable insights into the linguistic, political, economic, and social realities of a particular environment. Archive audiovisual materials also provide access to historical periods that have been rendered inaccessible due to various circumstances. Therefore, the 27th of October serves as a reminder to all individuals of the critical nature of safeguarding audiovisual records prior to the end of time. A significant number of these sources have been lost as a result of carelessness and poor preservation efforts.
World Day for Audiovisual Heritage 2023: History
In 2005, the inaugural World Day for Audiovisual Heritage was observed. The day was established on October 27 through a collaboration between the Coordinating Council of Audiovisual Archives Associations (CCAAA) and the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
The CCAAA is an international organization comprised of numerous audiovisual organizations. The CCAAA does not maintain any special staff positions; rather, each registered association elects a president and vice president to the board, with the number of candidates for these positions contingent on volunteer contributions. The CCAAA was established subsequent to the “Recommendation for the Safeguarding and Preservation of Moving Images” published by UNESCO in 1980. The Recommendation initiative strongly advocated for the urgent collaboration of institutions and associations in order to safeguard archives. The Roundtable of Audiovisual Records was the outcome. The Roundtable meeting brought together associations and organizations such as the International Council on Archives (ICA) and the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA).
A Joint Technical Symposium (JTS) was slated to occur every few years, as per the decision. However, the involved archive associations realized within a few years that more needed to be done; thus, the CCAAA was founded. The rate of deterioration of audiovisual sources is estimated to be between 10 and 15 years if they are not properly preserved and maintained, owing to the inherent characteristics of the materials on which they are recorded. We will lose significant linguistic, social, and cultural histories if this occurs. “Providing opportunities to celebrate specific local, national, or international aspects of the heritage; highlighting the accessibility of archives; attracting media attention to heritage issues; elevating the cultural status of audiovisual heritage; highlighting audiovisual heritage in danger, particularly in developing countries” are the benefits of the day according to UNESCO.
Five facts that will astound you
- It has been demonstrated that using an audiovisual source to teach in the classroom is one of the most effective methods, as it enables students to simultaneously hear and see the material.
- The audiovisual industry has undergone significant expansion and transformation due to the swift pace of technological advancements. In fact, a child born in the twenty-first century will have entirely different technological encounters than a child born in the early 2000s.
- An effective method for gaining insights into the prevailing trends of a specific era is to examine the music videos produced during that time period. These videos serve as a visual and auditory documentation of the events that were occurring during the period in which they were captured.
- A lot of teachers and academics are worried about using audiovisual materials because the way they were recorded might have made the messages they carry biased.
- Technological progress has led to the emergence of more sophisticated audiovisual techniques, the most recent being virtual reality technology.
The Significance of World Audiovisual Heritage Day
An honour of audiovisual technology
Audiovisual technology enables us to observe and comprehend the world from the convenience of a single seat. Initially, this technology provided a glance into an alternate world; however, modern virtual reality enables walkthroughs, which add an entirely new dimension to the educational experience.
It is a fragment of history
Much can be gleaned from the study of history, including linguistic and cultural aspects that illuminate how people interacted and how they lived economically and socially. Additionally, history affords us the opportunity to ruminate on and gain insight from past occurrences; therefore, on this day, we have an excuse to delve into older films, audiobooks, music, and other media to expand that knowledge.
Using audiovisual materials in a classroom helps students understand the material better because they use at least two senses. This, in turn, makes the material more interesting and easier to remember.
World Day for Audiovisual Heritage 2023: Dates