Though January 22’s Celebration of Life Day was originally intended to honour the children in our lives, it has come to represent all that is good about being alive. It is sometimes easy to forget, but we are all fortunate to be here. Take time to celebrate the fact that the good in this life vastly outweighs the bad. It all begins with gratitude and appreciation for where you are now and wherever your dreams may lead you. Every life is precious, unique, and a tremendous gift; therefore, take a little extra time to celebrate it today.
WHEN IS CELEBRATION OF LIFE DAY 2023?
The wonderful ups and downs of life are celebrated on January 22 during Celebration of Life Day.
HISTORY OF CELEBRATION OF LIFE DAY
Though Ronald Reagan originally established the holiday to send an anti-abortion message, the Celebration of Life Day has evolved into a day to celebrate the lives of children as well as our own. Ronald Reagan declared January 1984 to be National Sanctity of Human Life Day, which later became Celebration of Life Day. National Sanctity of Human Life Day was established on the 11th anniversary of the decision in the landmark abortion case Roe v. Wade by President Reagan at the time.
Anti-abortion groups championed the holiday because they believed it reflected their views on the value of human life at every stage. This sentiment was echoed in Donald Trump’s statement from 2019’s first day. Planned Parenthood and other pro-choice organisations criticised the day as an attempt to restrict women’s autonomy over their bodies.
National Sanctity of Human Life/Celebration of Life Day has a troubled past. Although both Bush administrations continued the holiday, it was suspended for eight years during the administration of Bill Clinton. During Donald Trump’s presidency, the holiday has also been observed, and some churches have even added it to their calendars. The holiday typically falls on a Sunday due to its religious significance, but Donald Trump declared in 2018 that it would be celebrated on a Monday.
Today, many view Celebration of Life Day as an opportunity to spend additional time with their nieces, nephews, children, grandchildren, or even the children they babysit. Today is the day to remind ourselves that we are all fortunate to be alive and to lead the lives that we do. Despite our individual and collective difficulties, there is always something to be grateful for, and what better day than Celebration of Life Day to do so?
5 DELIGHTFUL FACTS ABOUT LIFE & HAPPINESS
- According to psychosomatic research, happier people are less likely to contract the common cold!
- Every day, not just on Celebration of Life Day, cultivate gratitude; it will help you catch more Zzz’s and get more out of each rest.
- Those who are more appreciative of their lives are more likely to have higher self-esteem and to be able to take pleasure in the happiness of others.
- Studies have shown that colours such as yellow increase feelings of happiness and satisfaction, whereas colours such as grey are often associated with anxiety and depression.
- It has been demonstrated that those who experience more positive emotions, such as happiness or enthusiasm, experience less pain throughout their lives.
CELEBRATION OF LIFE DAY DATES